Thursday, July 10, 2008

Nothing is as scary as the fisrt baby of your peers.

Well, some things, maybe. But I just met Jawad, Tamam's son. And here I am, jobless, going back to school, when friends around are lawyers, doctors, opening their second businesses, and now parents. It all makes me feel like a kid, but I just can't imagine any of that yet for myself. I guess the whole engineering career set my life back a few years.

Anyway, Jawad's incredibly cute, with long thin feet and lots of spit bubbles, but I have not yet gotten to take more than one picture. I must remedy this. I stupidly asked (at 3 months) if he's walking, not really thinking much other than that's the sorta stuff you ask. I got laughed at, deservedly. But what do I know about babies? Anyway, turns out it will be a major victory when he can roll over. Been trying for about a month. It almost happened yesterday and immediately there was a video camera - Tamam claims it's for the grandparents.

Yesterday, many of Tamam's cousins all gathered for dinner, and it was a stunning revelation - the week of partying last year (last three days worth aside) was only a slightly embellished version of real life for them over here. I had that Great Gatsby feeling again last night, as there were various appetizers and then a huge dinner spread and 20 people for "no occasion, just dinner." I felt kinda bad too, since I've been in hostel mode, and I've been thinking about saving money and eating cheap, and spent a while (while describing my Dubai experience mostly) talking about that to Tamam. I think I gave the impression I was in dire straits, when it's really just mode hostel life puts you in. Ah well.

The night was fun though. Lots of good food, and I got reintroduced to all sorts of people I met a year ago. I actually met every single one a year ago, and recognized a fair bit, but didn't remember names, and they didn't mine, so all was well. Tonight will be a joint birthday party between Tamam's sister Galia and her friend. We were at last year's birthday party too. I'm amused. Should be good times.

No comments: