Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Dubai or not Dubai, that is the question.

Ok, so Dubai wasn't as bad as I originally thought. Once you get used to the heat and get into town it has redeeming qualities. I figure one day, I'll come back with someone(s) and more money and not in summer and I'll really enjoy it. The problem is the hostel was just a cheap place to stay, not a friendly hostel, socially the worst I've been in, regardless of the great amenities (pool, gym, billiards room), and it was 25 min from any part of town. When I moved to a hotel downtown, walked around, and saw the Dubai Museum, I felt better about it.

Also, my last night there I did a Desert Safari, which includes dune-bashing (driving around fast in a Jeep on dunes), a traditional Arabic BBQ, a camel ride, and belly-dancing. Well, I got queasy from the motion of the dune bashing, the sand boarding (think snowboarding on dunes) was left out because we were picked up an hour late, waited 1/2 an hour for more people to show up, and then had to fix both a flat and the engine overheating. So of our "6 hour trip", we got 2. Once again, something that, like the rest of Dubai, I could see being good, but not this time. Oh, and due to haze, we couldn't even see stars in the desert. Sad.

Ah well, I'm in Jordan now.

No comments: