Friday, July 25, 2008

...And Warsaw.

After Krakow, I went to Warsaw just for a day on the recommendation of everyone that had been there. None of them were Jewish. I realized only after I bought a bus ticket for last night that there is much more to see for a Jew. Anyway, what I did do was go to see the last remnant of the ghetto wall, and the Jewish cemetery. There are actually Jews in Warsaw now, so the cemetery is still in use, but the same issues can be seen of pre-war areas, as in Krakow. It's striking - the newer parts are ordered and cared for and the older parts, up to roughly the war (judging by the grave dates) look like a massive forest. There's also a memorial to the unnamed vicitms of the Holocaust.

I also saw the Old Town and the Palace in the Park, whose name apprently literally translates to the Royal Bathrooms. It was all alright, but really, when I think of Warsaw, I'm not thinking of the medieval town, so I just didn't feel as interested.

I ran into a couple on the train to the park and we ended up seeing that bit togheter and then getting dinner. At Pizza Hut. Trust me, really not my idea at all, but I went along, cuz, well, it's a Polish Pizza Hut, and the girl assured me it was differnt than Britain (where they now live). Well, sure, amybe, but it looks like a US one. Though they did have a Thai chicken pizza, and I had had plenty of pierogis anyway, so I pretended it was CPK and chowed down. I think if I deviate from ethnic foods, it may not be American chain restaurants any more though.

Ok, well, I'm caught up again, and I will not spend only one day in any city again. The rest of my route right now seems to be Vilnius, Riga, maybe Tallinn, St. Petersburg, Moscow, Zurich and Berlin. Seems like so much when I write it out, but less than three weeks till I'm back. Ok, off to explore Vilnius.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Poland is on my list of places to visit, mostly for the jewish history.